Top 10 Advantages of Taking Online Courses
Posted on January 19 2011
The Internet has really revolutionized the way we do things. Aside from making it easier for us to communicate, gather information and do our shopping, it has provided a convenient and cost-effective way to learn by taking online high school classes.
Indeed, online courses have helped a lot of individuals who may otherwise find it hard to earn credits. These online high school classes have allowed some students to graduate high school early. It has also provided an avenue for those who have part time or full time jobs to continue with their studies.
So, to help you decide whether taking online courses is for you, here are the Top 10 benefits of taking online courses:
- Fits your schedule. Since the course is provided online, you don't need to be at your "classroom" at specific times. You don't need to adjust to the class schedule - you let the class schedule adjust to you. This works great for parents who need to juggle child care and other responsibilities with their studies, as well as for those who are already working but still want to earn a diploma. Having flexibility in one's schedule enables you to work at a time you are at your best. If you're a night owl who can't seem to get the gears started for morning classes, then online courses will work well for you.
- Saves time and money. You don't have to spend time driving to school. You don't have to leave home to go to school and the school is right where you are. This means savings in both time and gasoline expenses. You don't even have to contend with traffic or the bad weather.
- Control your pace. You can learn the lessons at your own pace. You don't need to keep up with the rest of the class – something you need to do when you're in the classroom setting. Of course, you also need to be able to manage your time to ensure that you do finish your courses within a reasonable time period. You don't need to sit in a stuffy classroom for the next hour or so – you can work on your course anytime you like.
- Fits your location. You are not tied down to a particular location. You can take your classes anywhere. This is a great opportunity for those who live in remote locations or who travel extensively to still earn credits and graduate from an accredited high school. As long as there's an internet connection, you can take your lessons by the beach or any other place you're situated.
- Fits your budget. Depending on your budget, you can opt to take just one course among the list of available high school courses or to avail of bundled courses. There are actually courses that allow you to pay as you go.
- Instant playbacks and reviews. If you don't quite understand the lesson, you can go over it at your own time. There's no need to feel shy about asking your "teacher" to explain the concept to you one more time. You can page or scroll back to places you want to review. There is no need for you to take notes, as the entire lesson is laid out for you.
- Wear anything you like. You don't have to dress up to go to class, since there is no dress code to follow. You can opt to do your coursework in your pajamas!
- Allows for more time for other pursuits. For a busy mom or family man, taking online courses helps you manage your schedule more easily, giving you more time with the family or on a hobby.
- Develops self-control and commitment. Getting an online high school course can also be a challenge as you will need to be responsibility in managing your time. This helps to develop a discipline and a certain respect for the value of your time. With online programs, you also develop a level of technical proficiency, particularly in multimedia and the Internet.
- Allows you to plan ahead. Since the course outline is laid out for you, you can see up front when assignments will be due and tests will be taken. The course offerings also allow you to expand your course options.
Of course, there are also disadvantages in an online high school program. You need to have the discipline and sense of responsibility in order to see a course through. You may also feel that you are isolated from other students. You also need a good internet connection and should be familiar with the technology needed used. And sadly, there are some instances when the credits you get online are difficult to transfer into "actual" credit in a school.
The American Academy provides excellent opportunities to earn high school credits or a high school diploma online. Its program actually does away with some of the disadvantages. It allows you to interact with a licensed instructor for some tutorial time. The American Academy is accredited by the Northwest Accreditation Commission, which allows you to transfer the credits earned to an accredited school.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact the American Academy. We can help you get started with an online high school program.