Why a High School Diploma is Important
Why is a high school diploma so important – especially in today’s economy? Consider the following options:
- In today’s downturned economy with high unemployment rate, prospective employees need all the credentials they can get in a highly competitive job market. Having a high school diploma is no longer optional, as it was for three generation’s past, but it is necessary.
- Statistics show that more than 60% of job opportunities in the skilled labor force require a high school diploma. There are also a number of employers who will not even consider hiring a candidate that did not graduate high school.
- Higher salaries are typically available to high school graduates, as most employers consider a high school graduate as someone who remained committed to finishing school and pursuing his/her education.
- Receiving a high school diploma enables someone to pursue a higher education, albeit it vocational school, trade programs, a certified work-program and/or college. A high school diploma is simply the doorway to even more available long-term career opportunities.
- Obtaining a high school diploma enables students to take a number of interesting vocational and elective courses, allowing him/her to decide what type of studies and/or future career may be of interest.
- A high school diploma typically allows graduates to enter the workforce in positions that are more than simply entry-level, but also offer higher-paying opportunities.
- Obtaining a high school diploma shows employers that most graduates have deductive-reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Studies show that students who graduate receiving their high school diploma, albeit it from an in-person high school or an online high school have higher self-esteem, feel more confident in pursuing a career and are proud of their achievements.
- Job security is not just important in today’s economy, but vital. Most employers revel in the statistics of having educated employees. One way for an employee to position him/herself one-step closer to job security is to ensure that he/she has a marketable trait – a high school diploma.
- When someone graduates from high school there is a sense of finality and accomplishment that accompanies it. All the years of studying, test taking and working towards a goal to ensure a successful future culminate in an achievement that is celebrated.
- High school graduates are positive role models! Whether someone wants to be a positive role model for society in general, his or her younger siblings and younger cousins or a child, obtaining a high school diploma is an honored achievement!